CLASS Services

CLASS believes that everyone deserves the opportunity to live a rewarding, fulfilling, and meaningful life, and that having a developmental disability does not diminish the desire or right to pursue this dream, it simply makes the journey more challenging.

CLASS offers a wide range of innovative service choices to meet individual needs and provide opportunities for persons with intellectual or other developmental disabilities to maximize their potential, independence, community inclusion, acceptance, and individual rights. 

CLASS services include:

CLASS services assist individuals along the path of their life journey; to be working and contributing members of the community; and to live healthy, safe, happy, and productive lives.

For more information about CLASS services, contact Gretchen Andrews by email at, or by phone at 800.479.0259 (toll free) or 620.429.1212.


How do I start receiving services from CLASS?

CLASS staff can assist you in connecting with the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) of Southeast Kansas to determine if you are eligible to receive intellectual or developmental disability (I/DD) services. CLASS would love to be your choice of community support providers, and would like to talk with you about the specialized services we offer.

How do I pay for the services I receive from CLASS?

Typically, the Home-and-Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver provides coverage for I/DD services through an individual’s KanCare medical card. There is a state-wide waiting list for new enrollees in the HCBS waiver program, which is managed by the State of Kansas.

CLASS also accepts private payment for any services.

Who is eligible to receive services from CLASS?

Individuals who meet the criteria established by the Developmental Disabilities Reform Act, which includes intellectual or other developmental disabilities that are life-long and result in substantial delays in certain areas of life functions, are eligible to receive services from CLASS.

What is a home-and-community-based services (HCBS) waiver?

A home-and-community-based services (HCBS) waiver helps to provide for needed services for people with intellectual or other developmental disabilities.

Can I tour CLASS facilities to learn more?

We love giving tours of our facilities! To schedule a tour of the CLASS facilities contact Gretchen Andrews at 620.429.1212 or 800.479.0259 (toll free).

Will I lose my benefits if I get a job?

CLASS employs trained benefits counselors who can show you how working will affect your benefits. There may be a reduction in the amount of your SSI check, but you cannot lose your Medicaid benefits. When you consider the earned income from your paycheck, you will find that you benefit from employment.

What if I want a job in the community?

CLASS would be happy to assist you to find and maintain a paid community employment opportunity. CLASS uses an assessment tool called Profile for Individualized Employment, or PIE, to closely assess an individual’s skills, interests, and abilities in order to find the best employment opportunity for that individual.

What if I’m not yet ready for independent community employment?

CLASS’ Innovative Employment Options service provides several choices in order to meet the needs of each individual. CLASS’ Job Training Areas in our service centers provide job readiness and job skills training. CLASS Job Coaches can provide intensive, one-on-one supports to assist in job readiness training. CLASS also provides several enclave or work crew opportunities where several individuals along with a Job Coach work in a business location.

Can I tour the CLASS Job Training Areas and see what kind of work and/or training that CLASS provides?

Yes, we love to show new people the type of work opportunities that we offer. Call Gretchen Andrews at 620.429.1212 or 800.479.0259 (toll free) to schedule a tour of the service center nearest you.

How will Life Skills Enhancement services benefit me or my loved one?

Life Skills Enhancement services will benefit you or your loved one by providing daily, curriculum-based training on socialization activities, recreation, community inclusion, opportunities for volunteerism, environmental awareness/stimulation, following directions, cultural and ethnic traditions, and leisure pursuits.

What are the goals of Life Skills Enhancement services?

The Life Skills Enhancement service is a day program that is provided in a group setting and focuses on the skills and interests identified in each individual’s person-centered plan. The goal of Life Skills Enhancement services is to allow individuals to work toward their personal goals in a collaborative setting.

Is transportation to and from the service center provided?

Yes, CLASS offers scheduled transportation routes to and from our service center locations. There is no fee for this service if you live within a 10-mile radius of the service center.

Can I schedule a tour of a service center?

We love to give tours of our service centers! CLASS has service centers in Coffeyville, Columbus, Independence, Parsons, and Pittsburg. Contact Gretchen Andrews at 620.429.1212 or 800.479.0259 (toll free) to schedule a tour of the service center nearest you.

CLASS operates five service centers in four counties in addition to the Administrative Office.

How will Community Living Services benefit me or my loved one?

Community Living Services will benefit you or your loved one by supporting the greatest degree of independence possible in an individual’s chosen lifestyle. Community Living Services assist individuals with intellectual or other developmental disabilities to build skills, increase independence, and live successfully and happily in the community of their choice.

How many residential facilities does CLASS manage/operate?

CLASS operates three tri-plex facilities, three quad-plex facilities, three group home facilities, and manages four other housing facilities. The tri-plex facilities are three separate apartments on one building site, and are located in Columbus, Parsons, and Pittsburg. The quad-plex facilities are four separate, two-bedroom apartments that are joined by a common living area, and are located in Columbus, Parsons, and Pittsburg. The group home facilities are single, residential homes, in which four or more individuals reside together. The group home facilities are located in Columbus, Parsons, and Pittsburg.

CLASS also manages two additional housing facilities in Columbus, as well as a housing facility in Independence and a housing facility in Oswego.

Can I live in my own home or apartment and still receive Community Living Services?

Yes, Community Living Services may be provided in an individual’s own home or apartment, or in a CLASS residential facility.

How are CLASS-managed residential facilities staffed?

Staffing levels at CLASS’ residential facilities are determined by the needs identified in each individual’s Person-Centered Plan.

Can I schedule a tour of the residential facilities?

Yes, CLASS staff can arrange a tour of some of our residential facilities. Remember that these sites are homes for the individuals who live there, so permission from the individual is always obtained before CLASS allows any visitors into the home. To schedule a tour of our residential facilities or to discuss our Community Living Services, contact Gretchen Andrews at 620.429.1212 or 800.479.0259 (toll free).

How will Targeted Case Management benefit me or my loved one?

Targeted Case Management will benefit you or your loved one by providing resources and information. A case manager will meet with the individual receiving services and their support system to continually assess the needs of the individual and to maximize the individual’s participation in his or her community.

Can I choose my case manager?

Yes, you may request the case manager of your choice. However, if that case manager would not be able to provide sufficient support, you will be placed on a waiting list until that case manager can adequately support you. The Vice-President for Quality Performance will work with you to choose a case manager with whom you are comfortable.

What if I want a different case manager?

Upon admission to CLASS services, you will be given information about CLASS’ Formal Grievance Policy. Should you decide that you are dissatisfied with your current case manager, you will be provided with the contact information of the Vice-President for Quality Performance who supervises your case manager to resolve any concerns.

How many clients does each case manager serve?

Currently, each CLASS case manager serves approximately 37 individuals.

How often will I meet with my case manager?

For individuals who currently receive HCBS services through CLASS, you can expect to see your case manager at least once per month. CLASS case managers strive to meet with individuals who receive services in each area of services received by the individual.

If you are not currently eligible to receive HCBS services because you were placed on the state-wide waiting list, a CLASS case manager coordinator will assist you in determining your case management support needs on an individual basis.

How many case managers work for CLASS?

CLASS currently employs 8 case managers and one case manager coordinator across our four-county service area.

The case manager coordinator specializes in serving those who are on the waiting list to receive services and those who privately pay for services.

What is the cost of Targeted Case Management services?

In most cases, targeted case management services are billed through the individual’s medical card if the individual is eligible for KanCare.

If the individual does not qualify to receive targeted case management services through her or his medical card, the service cost is determined using a fixed sliding fee scale based on the individual’s income.

What is a Person-Centered Plan (PCSP)?

A Person-Centered Support Plan (PCSP) is a plan developed by the individual, their family/guardian, friends, support staff, and others that will establish goals for the future. The team gathers assessment information to recommend training areas to improve the skills and knowledge that are necessary to work toward the desired outcomes of the individual’s preferred lifestyle.

Can I receive Targeted Case Management services if I am on the waiting list?

Yes, you can receive Targeted Case Management services while you are on the waiting list. TCM services can be provided to an individual through his or her KanCare medical card, or by paying for the service privately. Case managers can assess the individual’s needs and complete referrals to generate other community services (i.e. assistive technology, vocational rehabilitation services, etc.).

What kind of training, certification, or licensure is required for CLASS case managers?

All case managers are required to complete an online assessment sponsored by the State of Kansas. CLASS also requires 45 hours of training for case managers during the first year of employment, and 40 hours of training per year thereafter.

How will Personal Care services benefit me or my loved one?

Personal Care services, or PCS, are one-on-one supports provided to an individual (child or adult) who lives in their family home. Personal Care services are intended to provide relief for the family and allow the individual to continue to reside in the home. Staff assistance is based on the needs identified in the individual’s Person-Centered Support Plan, but can include assistance in the activities of daily living, medications, accessing medical care, meal planning and preparation, and recreation and leisure activities.

Who is eligible for Personal Care Services?

Adult or minor individuals who live in their family home are eligible to receive Personal Care Services as long as the need for the service is defined in the individual’s Person-Centered Support Plan. To learn more about eligibility for Personal Care Services, contact Gretchen Andrews at 620.429.1212 or 800.479.0259 (toll free).

How are my Personal Care Services hours scheduled?

Your Person-Centered Support Plan team will work with you and your family to identify the days and times that Personal Care Services are needed. A schedule will be developed so that you and your family may plan accordingly.

Can I receive Personal Care Services during the evenings or on the weekends?

Yes, you can receive Personal Care Services during the evenings or on the weekends if those are the days and times identified as needs by your Person-Centered Support Plan team.

How does my family become a Shared Living Provider?

To obtain an application to become a Shared Living Provider, or to learn more about Shared Living services, contact Chris Dial at 620.231.3131 or 800.479.0259 (toll free).

What are the basic requirements for a Shared Living Provider?

A Shared Living Provider must be able to pass all background and driver’s license checks, and the home must have a bedroom for the individual.

What if my family situation changes and I can no longer provide Shared Living Services?

Shared Living services contracts may be cancelled by either the shared living provider or the individual, but a 30-day notice of cancellation is required. A secondary plan is in place for any individual placed with a shared living provider to ensure that the individual’s needs are met in the event of unforeseen circumstances.

My family is interested in becoming a Shared Living Provider. Do we get to select the person who will live with us?

Potential Shared Living Providers must complete an interview process with the individual seeking Shared Living services to ensure a successful match between the individual and the family.

Will my family receive any training before becoming a Shared Living Provider?

Yes. Annual required trainings are provided for Shared Living Providers, as well as additional opportunities for training that are specific to the needs of the individual who is seeking the Shared Living service.

I am interested in Shared Living services. Do I get to select the family with whom I’ll live?

Yes. Individuals seeking Shared Living services must complete an interview process with the potential Shared Living Provider to ensure a successful match between the individual and the family.

What if I decide that I want to live with a different Shared Living Provider?

You, or your guardian, must provide 30-day notice for any changes in your Shared Living services contract. If you want to continue to receive Shared Living services, CLASS can assist you in finding a different Shared Living Provider.

Who is eligible to receive Shared Living services?

Adult (over 18) individuals can receive Shared Living services if they receive funding at a daily residential rate. For more information about eligibility, contact Chris Dial 620-231-3131 or 800-479-0259 (toll free).

Will I have my own bedroom if I choose to live with a Shared Living Provider?

Yes, your Shared Living Provider is required to provide you with your own room.

Are any in-home services available to people who receive Shared Living services?

Shared Living Providers are responsible for finding persons to care for the hosted individual in the absence of the family. Anyone who provides care for the hosted individual must pass all required background checks before caring for the hosted individual. If a Shared Living Provider needs assistance in caring for the hosted individual, the Shared Living Provider is responsible for paying that caretaker out of the daily rate received for providing the Shared Living service. If you need assistance with this process, or have concerns about any behavioral issues, contact Chris Dial at 620.231.3131 or 800.479.0259 (toll free).

Where are CLASS service centers located?

CLASS operates five service centers in four counties in addition to the Administrative Office. Please Click Here to see our Locations.